My first encounter with pasta was strangely in Kuwait. I moved there after my wedding and lived there for a brief period, during which I tried a number of cuisines for the very first time in my life! Honestly I never kept a count… There was this shopping mall that we used to frequently visit. At the food court in the mall was a pasta joint with a live kitchen. The chef mixed the ingredients and the sauces in front of the customers and always cooked and served with a smile as if he really cooked from his heart. The pasta soon became my staple everytime I went to that mall not just for the food but also for the friendly chef. I would watch intently as he mixed, and tossed the different types of pasta and topped it with a smile.
I did my research from the vast stream of online information and for the very first time made pasta with white and red sauce. Amazingly… it turned out very similar to the one our smiley chef used to make. I was thrilled with the results and soon started to try various combinations depending on what was at hand.
Just like her mother, my six year old loves pasta – she likes hers plain with a huge dollop of butter. My husband loves pasta in almost any given form.
This is another simple recipe with white sauce and chicken and vegetables. I use penne; you could use other pasta of your choice. Cook the penne in lots of salted boiling water as per package instructions. Do not overcook.
As the chicken starts to cook, add the bell pepper, sauté for a minute and add the mushrooms. Toss for 2 minutes and add the spinach. Sauté for 3 minutes then sprinkle the remaining mixed pepper and oregano. Add salt to taste. Keep aside.
Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables in White Sauce
For the White Sauce
2 tbsp Garlic
250 ml cream
1 cup milk
1tsp mixed pepper
1tbsp cayenne pepper powder
½ tsp dried oregano
For the Chicken Mix
1 ½ tbsp butter
1 ½ cup boneless Chicken – cut into small thin strips
1 small yellow Bell Pepper – chopped into small cubes
1 cup Mushrooms – chopped
1 ½ cup chopped Spinach
1 tbsp fresh parsley
½ tsp mixed pepper powder
½ tsp oregano
For the Pasta
250 gms Penne pasta
Water for cooking
Salt to taste
For the White Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the garlic. Sauté till it turns golden brown.
- Add the cream and milk. Stir for a minute. When it begins to boil, bring it down to a simmer.
- Add the mixed pepper powder, cayenne pepper, Oregano and keep stirring
- Add salt to taste. Switch off flame and keep aside.
For the Chicken and Vegetable mix:
- In another pan, melt the remaining butter. Add the chicken, sauté on medium flame.
- As the chicken starts to cook, add the bell pepper, sauté for a minute.
- Then add the mushrooms. Toss for 2 minutes
- Add the spinach and sauté for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mixed pepper and oregano.
- Add salt to taste. Keep aside.
For the Pasta
Bring a big pan of salted water to boil. Add the pasta, cook till firm but not overcooked. Drain and keep aside.
To serve, in a plate, layer the pasta, then the chicken mix and finally pour some sauce over the mix. Garnish with chopped parsley.